It's raining at the moment, so my mind naturally wandered to rain barrels, lol. When I did a quick Google, I was surprised at the variety of products that are available these days.
Here's a quick recap of how rain barrels are beneficial and green:
1) They reduce the amount of water that needs to be chemically treated (residential irrigation can account for as much as 40% of treated water consumption).
2) Using collected rain water to water your garden keeps the chlorine, lime and calcium (to name a few) out of your garden soil.
3) They save on your water bill.
4) Use of water from rain barrels saves energy by reducing the need for pumping reservoir water.
5) Water from rain barrels is not bound by city water restrictions (grrrr), so you can water your lawn whenever you like (ha! so there ;-)
There are definitely strong arguments in favour of rain barrels - we may invest in one in the new year.
Return to Jeanne's Blog List