My Latest Tweet

Un-Green Preschool


I was volunteer Mom at J's preschool the other day and was a little shocked at the waste.

While I can understand using paper towels for the kids to dry their hands (it must be a germy place!) I don't get why they don't have dish towels to dry with after washing the art supplies. EVERYTHING was washed and dryed using paper towels.

Then there was the garbage - everything went in there. It would have been so simple (and educational for the kids) to put a couple of blue boxes in the classroom but nope, everything is headed for the landfill.

They ask parents for spare plastic containers for craft supplies, but I gotta tell ya I'm a little reluctant... at least if I keep them at home they'll get recycled. At preschool they'll turfed in the trash once they're used.

In case you're wondering, it's a city rec centre preschool, which in every other way is excellent (partly why it surprises me that they're so NOT green!).

Anyway... just my beef for today...
____________________
Return to Jeanne's Blog List

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, very annoying.

Why not ask the head, or a senior teacher, gently, if they've considered the issue? It simply may not have occurred to them amongst all their other day-to-day worries...

Rgds

Damon

Jeanne Elle said...

You know, I could do that, couldn't I. There's no harm in asking. I guess I just assumed that because it is a parks and rec facility that they have province-wide policies that the teachers have no say over. Still, I could ask and see where it leads...

Unknown said...

So, did you follow up... Desperate to know... B^>

Rgds

Damon

Jeanne Elle said...

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder, lol. I completely forgot today (isn't that awful?) and now he doesn't have pre-school again until next week (he goes only two days a week).