My Latest Tweet

4 Pieces Of My Indoor Garden

Today I got busy with my plan to grow food indoors. Here's what I did:

1) Strawberries: I cut off the runners from my outdoor strawberry plants, and rinsed them to get rid of any aphids or other bugs. They're now in potting soil on a window ledge in my kitchen. Not sure if they'll take... I thought about starting them in water first to establish more roots, but I've rooted cuttings directly in soil before so I thought I'd give it a shot.

2) Oregano: I planted some seeds in potting soil, on my office window ledge. This is how I started the other herbs in my outdoor plot, but this one I'll keep indoors.

3) Chives: I'm a glutton for punishment!! This is the third or fourth time I've tried to grow chives, and I've never been able to get them to sprout in the past. Wish me luck this time. They're in a pot on my kitchen windowsill (next to the strawberries).

4) Carrots: I planted them from seed, on my laundry room window ledge. I used a long rectangular planter that is deep enough to allow for the carrots to grow, and I planted two rows of seeds.

I have more ideas, but I need to buy more potting soil first. I still have lots of window ledge space that I can fill up, so I'll keep you posted as I plant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your plants. I have been trying to grow parsley and have had little luck with it. I think I am on my third one and they just keep seeding. I'm also growing tomatoes and they are almost ready to pick :)

Jeanne Elle said...

Thanks :-) Just got back today from vacation, and noticed that my indoor carrots are sprouting. Yay!! Now that I'm back and can get more organized, I'm going to plant more...

My outdoor tomatoes are almost ready to pick too :-) I think I might try those indoors as well, but I'm afraid they need more light than we have. Oh well, we'll see what happens, I guess!