My Latest Tweet

Earth Hour 2009

Earth Hour 2009 is tonight, from 8:30-9:30 local time. At this point I'm planning to participate in some ways... like I'll turn down more lights than I would normally.

I have a 6 yr old who is not fully comfortable falling asleep in the dark, so out of respect for her I'll more than likely leave the hall light on by her room. Chances are, DH will be on the couch watching TV, so I can easily turn lights off around him. We don't usually watch TV in the dark because it bothers my eyes, but one hour certainly will be fine.

To learn more about Earth Hour, have a look at the video that Amber at Strocel.com included in her Earth Hour post (thanks for that, Amber :) This video explains how Earth Hour originated, and how it has become a global event.

In my opinion, it's not that one hour that makes any difference - it's the awareness gained by the exercise that does.

Return to Fine Grind

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I very much agree with your sentiment: EH doesn't save the planet or even much energy/emissions if any, but it should help raise awareness.

It's amazing the amount of anti-EH vitriol that I've seen poured out on blogs and so on over the last 24 hours or so: it's not even as if anyone is being forced to take part that doesn't want to, or even that (say) safety lighting is being turned off...

Rgds

Damon

Jeanne Elle said...

I think people take it a bit literally, and maybe it doesn't occur to them to participate partially.

Like myself, for instance - it wouldn't hurt my daughter to go without the hall light as she's falling asleep, but I choose not to ask her to do it. The Earth Hour purists would say I'm missing out on an opportunity to teach her about the planet, but I say hey - I'm turning some lights off, and let a little girl just go to sleep in peace.

I think part of the problem with the green movement is that there are some who are judgemental of partial efforts not being good enough. I personally think that even the smallest effort contributes in some way.