My Latest Tweet

Two-Tiers, Anyone?

My ability to make lemonade out of lemons with this one will be tested: BC Hydro is about to implement a new billing system whereby they charge for services on two different levels based on the customer's energy consumption.

Tier-one power could be priced at about 6.15 cents per kilowatt hour, as opposed to tier two power, at 7.21 cents per kwh in October, increasing to 8.27 cents per kwh in April. The BC Utilities Commission has proposed that tier one have a maximum usage limit of 1,350 kilowatt hours per two month billing period, down from Hydro's original suggestion of 1,600.

I like a challenge.

It is a good idea in that it encourages people to use less electricity, although according to the the survey they've done of average consumption levels, as a detached home owner I'm sunk and destined to pay the higher rate of tier two.

To be honest, I have no idea how many kilowatt hours we consume every two months, but I'm going to pull out the bills and have a look. It's going to be tough because we're heading into shorter days and I'm a bit of a light junkie, but I'm willing to give it a try.

No comments: